This just in:
By Fire And Blood on in Filming.

THE LANNISTERS ARE ARROGANT SODS.

Obvious? Perhaps. But these new pictures leaking out from Dubrovnik, thanks to one of many eagle-eyed websites, such as Game of Thrones Portugal) show us the Lion’s true colours. EDIT: It seems the Portuguese site got the pics from—that’s right—the Father of us all, Westeros! (Westeros in turn got them from Nikola Čakelić.) It’s a small world after all.

Anyway, Marrying a Lannister (and then dying) apparently grants the green light for a little royal standard adjustment. Is that lion dancing with the Baratheon stag… or merely lifting it in order to make a healthy meal out of its neck?

I blame Cersei.

Love, love, love the photos coming to us from Croatia (from Friday and Saturday I think, though I don’t read Portuguese and can’t be sure of the date). I hope they film here forever. After the break we have more photos captured from on high. Enjoy!

NOTE: Some of these photos may be slightly spoiler-ish. If you know nothing of season two, you may want to skip. Nothing too revealing, but… You’ve been warned.

UPDATE 10/3/11 (WiC): In addition to all the pics after the break, so nicely compiled and commented on by FaB, even more have leaked out today. Frankly, I’m getting a little bored of all of these pics but if you aren’t, you can get your Daily Set Photo fix here, here, and here, and even some bonus video coverage here.

Look! A water carriage!

This has a sort of Lannisteresque look to it. Perhaps with some slightly Persian stylings, which makes me think it could possibly be an homage to the place it is traveling to rather than the cargo. Speaking of cargo…

Why that’s the lovely Aimee Richardson! Carted off! Sorted! Good to see Princess Myrcella arrived safely to Dubrovnik. This appears to be a significant change from the scene from A Clash of Kings, but, well, it’s close enough that we know which scene it is!

A gathering ashore—like as not to see sweet Myrcella off. If you look closely you can spy Rory McCann (The Hound), Callum Wharry (Prince Tommen), Sophie Turner (Sansa), Jack Gleeson (King Joffrey), and Ian Beattie (Ser Meryn Trant).

Yet another angle. My eye is drawn to the woman in the top left-hand corner, in the purple, black, and silver diamond-patterned shawl. Lady Falyse Stokeworth, perhaps? Oh, but to glimpse lovely Lollys! A heart can only yearn.

Another angle. I wonder if they’ll give us the names of any of these other Kingsguard men? Ser Preston Greenfield FTW!

And still more. Our Sophie isn’t the only beauty there. Many of these Dubrovnik extras are certainly easy on the eyes; at least the nobility are. Croatia: filled with attractive people. Discuss.

Joff’s back!

Sweet Sansa (that dress becomes her), Jolly Joffers, and…. is that David Benioff?

Imp-possible! Soph’ hangin’ with Pete! And is it me or is he looking more muscular? Could just be the tight black shirt. No one will ever call him a “plump little lord” again.

Crikey, we’ve been spotted! Bail, paparazzo, bail!

Rory, at ease with a cup o’ joe.

Rory gives us a grin. Sort of like the cat who just ate the canary. Or the Hound who’s about to eat a little bird for breakfast.

Fire And Blood: Speaking of San/San…

There were a small number of behind-the-scenes interviews that seemed to have slipped through the cracks during the frenzied weeks of Game of Thrones‘ airing. This one below, with David Benioff, directly addresses—probably more so than GRRM ever has—the tenuous relationship between Sansa and Sandor.

You Tube Link!

Interesting that this isn’t something they’re just going to gloss over. Kudos for having some stones. (As though they’ve never had stones before, right?) I’m looking forward to seeing how Rory and Sophie play some of this “are they/aren’t they” stuff.

128 Comments

1. David Bradford
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Yeah, Joff’s marrying the Lion with the Stag is well documented and commented on in the books.

2. Jenn
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Sorry but all I see is San/San and that is the reality I want

3. Fire And Blood
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

David Bradford,

Yes, of course, but now we have proof!

Jenn,

Yes, of course, but now we have proof!

4. Langkard
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Wow. Great pics!

5. David Bradford
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Heh, I never doubted it for a second :-)

6. Kell
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Games of Thrones Portugal credits Westeros.org for the photos :) http://www.westeros.org/GoT/News/Entry/More_Photos_from_Dubrovnik/

And they link to two Croatian photo galleries :-)

So… Speaking portuguese won’t help :)

7. Steve the Pirate
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Those interviews didn’t slip through the cracks, I posted them on my youtube channel months ago. The SanSan clip and all the HBOGo videos. :P

8. Shadowcat85
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Steve the Pirate,

I remember watching that video soon after you posted it :) So glad you upload them.

9. Steve the Pirate
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

Westeros got the new pics from the same places I got them-

this website- http://dulist.hr/clanak.php?id=15246#!prettyPhoto

and the personal Google+ account of Nikola Cakelic

There were also some more pics released today on the site-

10. Fire And Blood
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Well that’s why you’re Salladhor Steve and no one else is!

11. Steve the Pirate
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

Cakelic should have some accenty mark thingies on his last name, but I don’t have the correct alt key codes memorized, so fuck it.

12. Fire And Blood
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

And is it just me, or do I see Ivan Popić everywhere?

He’s like Rabbit Jr.

Rabbit-in-training.

13. Jenn Rose
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

*THIS*

I actually saw that interview clip when it aired… because I’m an obsessive little bugger. *grins* Just so… I LOVE ALL of this. Love love love. I can’t WAIT!

*starts baking lemoncakes*

14. Excalibur
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

Don’t know about Benioff, but D.B. Weiss was, or still is, in Dubrovnik: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF_E6CfMC60. Here is a report about filming in Lovrijenac fortress, he said that Dubrovnik matches their vision of King’s Landing perfectly.

15. The Instrumentalist
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:05 pm | Permalink

I was never a big SanSan fan, but I know I’ll get into it on the show when they do all the scenes. :) Still, Jamie/Brienne will always stay first in my little fangirl heart…

*edited for grammar… hey, it’s late.

16. Thiago Slash
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

I’m Brazilian, so I pretty much can read portuguese hahaha
    there’s nothing there that wasn’t mentioned here. They only tell that the lady on the “water carriage” is Myrcella.

17. userj
    Posted October 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

San/San is creepy as hell in the books, and with Rory as the Hound?? Just… yeah… not gonna fly very far as a romance, IMO. They should play up the other aspects of their relationship. E.g. the way that The Hound constantly berates Sansa for her idealism even as he tries to protect her from the worst of KL. And the way that Sansa starts off assuming he’ll be the worst because he looks the scariest, but realizing he’s probably the kindest of the knights she comes to know.

They also have to differentiate from the other older knight with inappropriate crush on his charge situation. Though there have always been obvious parallels so I suppose they can take advantage of that with some creative storytelling.

18. Moe
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 12:43 am | Permalink

Thank you for the pictures!

I find Myrcella’s shoes a bit weird, it’s something that a character from Downton Abbey would wear. Come to think of it, GRRM never really described shoes in his books. The clothes, yes, but the shoes… to quote Andy Dufresne:

“I mean, seriously, how often do you really look at a man’s shoes?”

Anyway… God! David Benioff is hot. All that hair… EHEM!

19. HonestJerk
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 12:43 am | Permalink

The article reads: “This appears to be a significant change from the scene from A Clash of Kings, but, well, it’s close enough that we know which scene it is!”

Doesn’t look like a significant change to me; doesn’t even look like a change.

What am I missing?

20. Caedes
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Funny thing:
    Why is the Hound wearing his black ringmail instead of the Kingsguard halfplate and the white cloak?

21. sjwenings
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:05 am | Permalink

Yeah, I hope that Benioff-interview is telling us what it sounds like it’s telling us. I don’t think we’ll see much of a romance, anyway. Not so much as a kiss.

But a few subtle hints, would be nice. It’s not supposed to be appropriate or anything. It just is what it is. Luckily Sophie is tall and looks quite “womanly” now. It’s still wrong by todays standards, but it will seem less creepy, at least.

22. Emma
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Jenn,

Same here, Jenn.
    Same here.
    Everything is SanSan and nothing hurts.

Except when SanSan scenes get cut, but let’s not go into THAT again. :P

23. The Lightning Lord
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:07 am | Permalink

David Bradford,

Was it Joff’s own choice, or Cersei/Tywin’s influence? It’s clear the boy thought himself as a real Baratheon, regardless of the fact that he was a Lannister bastard…

24. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:16 am | Permalink

When Gregor was re-cast I admit I was irrationaly worried for The Hound. Seeing ‘him’ on set has given me much happiness!

Slightly OT: Did anyone watch the season premiere of Merlin? The producers were pretty open in interviews about how GOT has influenced them to up their game (in the context of Merlin as a family show) and you could really see it in the excellent first episode-including crows actually feasting on the dead and frozen people!

Also OT, but as someone married to a Croatian, yes they are a gorgeous people, in particular Dalmatians, like those pictured.

25. silverjaime
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

God but it’s frustrating to see all these lovely pics from Croatia, and yet security here has been stepped up! Why?? For example, when they were filming at Balintoy Harbour the roads were closed for about a mile before it! Yet in Dubrovnik the extras are sitting about with tourists wandering round! Really frustrating…..

26. EdibleBrain
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:10 am | Permalink

Set pictures of main actors in principle locations make me realise it’s going to be a looooong winter…

27. Daniel Moitz
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

HonestJerk:

Doesn’t look like a significant change to me; doesn’t even look like a change.

What am I missing?

Too lazy to get up and the book to confirm it, but as far as I remember it was in an actual harbor with docks, and other docked ships at least mentioned. What we see here sounds like the “water carriage” takes her from the shore to the ship, anchoring some distance out.
    Since such harbors don’t exist anymore, including proper ships, it would have been very CGI-heavy, as opposed to filming the open sea and put in a ship and a boat in the computer.

28. goober
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:34 am | Permalink

sweet rucksack ser meryn.should be white though

29. Liesie
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:15 am | Permalink

Yay SanSan :D

30. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Fire And Blood:
    And is it just me, or do I see Ivan Popić everywhere?

He’s like Rabbit Jr.

Rabbit-in-training.

Well, I’m unemployed atm so I have much more time for sniffing around. Plus, I know virtual territory better then in a first season.

31. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:26 am | Permalink

Steve the Pirate:

Those are our very own letters – as opposed to inferior English alphabet with puny 26 letters Croatian alphabet has 30 letters! č, ć, đ, dž, š and ž are the extra letters. You can keep your x, y and w – we have no use of them ;)

32. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:40 am | Permalink

silverjaime:

From what I heard, one of the conditions to use Dubrovnik in filming is to cause as little disruption to residents and tourists as possible. The leaks are mainly from very public locations which they aren’t able to seal off completely. This weekend’s filming at Pile Gates and last week’s at st. Dominic street were done at one of the two city gates so they had to allow foot traffic between the takes. Also, both locations are very visible from the city walls which are the biggest and most profitable city attraction and they were never closed off during the filming as that would hurt the profits a lot.
    So, they decided to use the locations to give us fans something to droll about and to maintain buzz about the series. We didn’t get any footage HBO didn’t allow from more secure locations such as villa Sokorčević, Rector’s Palace and Lovrijenac fortress. I doubt we will get anything from Lokrum island which can be completely sealed off.

33. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:42 am | Permalink

Caedes:
    Funny thing:

I noticed it too. My guess is he washed the cloak together with his blacks ;)

34. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink

Croatia: filled with attractive people. Discuss.

It is known.

35. Corvus
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:54 am | Permalink

There are also some new Dubrovnik filming footage here:

36. Dario Pavlovic
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:03 am | Permalink

Big problem from producers of GoT in Dubrovnik: They can’t find a local girl that’s willing to show t… while playing a role of city prostitute ;)
    Ay ay

37. Corvus
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:19 am | Permalink

Well, it’s a small city, isn’t it?

38. João Lopes
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:39 am | Permalink

Hi all,

The pictures in Game of Thrones Portugal were published on Friday (the first ones) and on Sunday (the last). There are some more from mid-September, but i think you saw those already.

39. silverjaime
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Dario Pavlovic,

You mean Ros hasn’t relocated with them?????
    There’s to be a prostitute scene WITHOUT her in it??

40. silverjaime
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:42 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić,

41. Moe
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Is there a reason why my post was moderated? I wasn’t trolling, I didn’t insult anybody… :(

42. Stringer Bell
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:54 am | Permalink

Oh HIII, Auburn-Haired Tyrion! Look at you, just chillin’, with your continuity-killing hair!

43. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 6:11 am | Permalink

Ser Lemon Cakes,

Not to mention the finale of Doctor Who. Spoilers! There was a ‘we all have to die’ which is pretty close to Valar Morghulis, and even better, the Doctor responds to his ‘unavoidable’ death with ‘Not today’!

44. Wyvernwood /Martin E
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 7:18 am | Permalink

silverjaime: Ivan Popić, Yes, pity that hadn’t been in operation here! Lots of Balintoy local businesses (eg gift shops) have claims in to HBO for loss of earnings, as the place was closed down during the busiest week of the summer. Mind you – that had all been approved by the Council for that area.

I thought the cafe and rental accommodation (which are down in the harbour area itslef) had been compensated, but the gift shop which is away from the filming area and much closer to the road weren’t included. They were complaining becuase of the use of traffic bollards that were preventing parking gave the impression that the whole area was closed, and that they therefore lost business.

45. Hear Me Roar
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Moe,

Sorry, sometimes posts get automatically stuck. I approved it now.

46. Winterdark
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 7:27 am | Permalink

Something I’ve been wondering for a while now is: why is the TV Hound less scarred than the book Hound? I can’t imagine they were hoping for PG rating.

Also I love the photos with Sophie Turner and Peter Dinklage. Not because, you know it’s Sansa and Tyrion but not on screen, but mostly because of the chairs. I mean, you have this big set with lots of extras in beautiful costumes and the boat and everything and it’s all very glorious and all of a sudden there are these cheap plastic chairs completely shattering your illusion which in itself is very Game of Thrones.

47. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

silverjaime:
    Ivan Popić,

Yes, pity that hadn’t been in operation here!Lots of Balintoy local businesses (eg gift shops) have claims in to HBO for loss of earnings, as the place was closed down during the busiest week of the summer. Mind you – that had all been approved by the Council for that area.

As far as I know businesses that were closed due to the filming in Dubrovnik were compensated. Also, production team scheduled the shooting around the cruiser arrival dates to avoid creating too big crowds.

48. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot:
    Ser Lemon Cakes,

Not to mention the finale of Doctor Who.

I also noted that exchange in the Dr. Who final :-) But other than that, I didn’t really notice much influence of GoT on Merlin or Dr. Who. I simply watch those shows for fun, despite the poor acting* and writing with implausible plots twists. Merlin might be getting a bit ‘darker’ now(?), but still it remains light entertainment with clearly defined ‘good’ and ‘bad’, and with ‘good’ surely overcoming ‘bad’ in the end after only very minor losses. Not that that’s a bad thing (I see Merlin and Dr. Who targetted at families-with-kids), but to say that GoT has influenced those shows is a big stretch in my opinion. Maybe they would like to be associated with Thrones, but I’m sure GoT doesn’t really wants to be associated with that kind of show…

*btw, not all the acting is bad on those shows, it’s just the general level that is pretty low, in part due to poor writing and directing, similar to most every soap opera. But I’d be happy for instance to see Colin Morgan, Richard Wilson or Santiago Cabrera** from the Merlin cast appear on Thrones…
    **Santiago Cabrera, although too young for the role probably, could make an awesome Red Viper I think!

49. brkelius
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 8:16 am | Permalink

According to the local newspapers “Dubrovacki vjesnik”, producer of “Game of Thrones”, after a month in Dubrovnik have run into problems.
    Namely, Dubrovnik girls refuse to be naked for the purpose of recording and producers had to contact several erotic dancers in Croatia and Slovenia.
    Although it was needed only for one (1 :) girl to play the scene of prostitute, not one was willing to show her brests. However, when looking for extras, the producers did not have any problems. :))
    Original news published at:
    p.s. sorry for bad translation

50. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

I love Doctor Who, it’s wonderful switch-brain-off fun, with some good stories (and some cringe inducing ones- debate rages as to which is which) and some very brave attempts to tackle grown up issues in child suitable ways (mental illness and capital punishment spring to mind, both done well). But it always remains gloriously daft and that is how it should be. I don’t want Doctor Who to be like Game of Thrones. They are different things entirely- and I think both are excellent.

I would not watch Game of Thrones with my young cousins. They don’t know why I grinned at that particular line in DW- and probably didn’t notice. The chaos on the telly was far more interesting.

51. Epic knows nothing
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić: Croatian alphabet has 30 letters! č, ć, đ, dž, š and ž are the extra letters.

dž is an extra letter? Me thinks your cheating.

52. Epic knows nothing
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Moe: Come to think of it, GRRM never really described shoes in his books.

I imagine you can make out of the box conclusions based on that, much like you can with how far your handwriting is above the bottom line in graphology. I wonder if he is still taking a break from writing soiaf.

53. silverjaime
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Wyvernwood /Martin E,

Yes – the cafe was compensated but the gift shop wasn’t. Also on some days, there was difficulty getting into teh village itself as my brother was there with his family and had to detour. Obviously people would have lost out business. Pity they hadn’t applied the Croatia model!

54. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Shinyteapot: it always remains gloriously daft and that is how it should be.

I agree fully on that. Sometimes I feel like the BBC takes it a bit too serious, e.g. in the way EVERY episode is followed by the completely over-the-top-look-how-great-we-are DW Confidential. In part because of that, and in part because sometimes I feel a bit too old for DW (probably because I didn’t grow up with it), I don’t watch it a lot. But I’ve enjoyed some episodes I’ve seen in the past, and as I said, I think it’s good family entertainment. The one thing you shouldn’t do though is think too much and try to make sense of what goes on :-) And therein lies for me the difference between such shows (and soap operas), and something like GoT.

55. PretendImNotHere
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić: . We didn’t get any footage HBO didn’t allow from more secure locations such as villa Sokorčević, Rector’s Palace and Lovrijenac fortress. I doubt we will get anything from Lokrum island which can be completely sealed off.

Ok this is true,i have a lot of photos from lovrijenac but i dont whant to show u right now.
    From 100 people from set 70% have cell phone(smartphone) or something else and i have it now for my collection like other people;)
    I whant to show you my photos dressed in hills tribe arrmor and cloth.But for now i w8 better days

56. Excalibur
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: dž is an extra letter? Me thinks your cheating.

Yes it is! :) And so are “lj” and “nj”!

57. Shinyteapot
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

If they could cut confidential down to ‘this is how we did the various effects’ and get rid of all the extra stuff it would be interesting. As it is, I can’t say I care what the camera crew had for breakfast.

If you haven’t seen it, I recommend the first series of the new version, with Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor- he’s superb. And, to get back on topic, definitely an actor I want in GOT! Still think he’d be perfect for the Damphair.

58. Pepi
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Tina Babić,

Cersei telling Joff’s dog where to sit. Awesome. Bruised Joffrey. Priceless. Thx for the pictures. They sure made my day. :D

59. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Tina Babić,

Thanks, some great pictures there!

Two observation: looks like Jack has grown since last year, and is it just me or does Lena’s wig looks better than last year’s?

Pepi: Bruised Joffrey. Priceless.

I had exactly the same reaction – incredible (and a bit scary) isn’t it how strongly we react to GRRM’s characters :-)

60. Coltaine777
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

I’m loving all the photos …can never get enough …and yes Croatian women are HOT …

61. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

and yes Croatian women are HOT

heh.

62. Coltaine777
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Coltaine777,

heh.

You started my love affair with Croation women Rabbit…I’ve been to Germany, Switzerland and Holland…I may have to travel Croatia next …what a beautiful country !…

63. Pepi
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho,

lol… indeed. But as far as Cersei and Joff are concerned, I think we’re pretty unanimous. Or not? If there are any Joffrey fans reading this, be my guest; prove me wrong. :D

64. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Coltaine777,

:blush:

65. Sean Fan
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

This is OT but I just saw some photos of Iain Glen over on WireImage…..

Looks like he’s over in Cannes at the MIPCOM promoting his tv series (tv movie ?) “Jack Taylor” ……

If this is a series, he’s gonna be busy!

66. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Pepi: lol… indeed. But as far as Cersei and Joff are concerned, I think we’re pretty unanimous.

As far as Joff is concerned, definitely! But since I’m tall and blond I won’t say anything bad about Cersei, just in case I ever meet her and she takes me for an…err…interesting Lannister :-)

67. userj
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Sean Fan,

68. Sean Fan
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

userj: Sean Fan, It’s should be ok! Iain Glen has been filming Jack Taylor contemporaneously with GoT both this and last season while he was in Northern Ireland. 3 of the 5 movies have already been shot so it is highly unlikely to interfere.

69. Bro
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Great pics yet again. Liking Cersei’s and Sansa’s dresses and Lena’s wig is defo suiting her better ths time round or at least it looks like it does. Joff’s outfit is pretty cool too.
    I hope the other members of the Kingsguard will be officially named for tv…

70. clemintine
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: I also noted that exchange in the Dr. Who final :-) But other than that, I didn’t really notice much influence of GoT on Merlin or Dr. Who.

Speaking of GoT in other shows, they brought it up in last week’s Castle. As in when they find the victim sawed in two with a sword Castle says, “That’s so Game of Thrones.” Our baby is now mainstream :)

Epic knows nothing: dž is an extra letter? Me thinks your cheating.

71. Langkard
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

I think we should all chip in and buy David Benoiff a new T-shirt and polo shirt. He’s been wearing those same two, identically colored shirts, for several years now… or he has a closet full of the same blue-grey T-shirts and polo shirts.

72. Ser Lemon Cakes
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Tar Kido:

If you are interested Merlin article here GOT here:http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/60528049.html

Minor in the context of a family show, but I see it.

PS. Sparsley attend Mycella send off. Where is Cersei?

73. Petar
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I live in Dubrovnik so – in your face xD And I have one question and I beg for an answer: Will second season be name “Clash of Kings” or will it be “Game of Thrones” season 2?

74. userj
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Sean Fan: Aaaah Thanks! Thought that this was brand new! Actors (and their agents) are good at juggling schedules! Sean Bean just finished shooting the tv series Missing with Ashley Judd while two to three other projects are all lined up for him to start.

Iain said in an interview that “It’s no coincidence I’m stubbled in both” (GoT and Jack Taylor), because the film schedules were/are overlapping. So yeah Jorah and Jack Taylor look very alike, lol.

75. alex
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

offtopic here. it would be really nice if we would get to see Robb’s crown this season .

76. sjwenings
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

alex,

Petar: Will second season be name “Clash of Kings” or will it be “Game of Thrones” season 2?

The show will still be called Game of thrones, ofcourse. They might add ACOK like “Game of thrones season 2: A clash of kings”, but we don’t know.

77. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Ser Lemon Cakes,

You can spot her only in one of many photos. She is standing next to Dinklage sitting on the stairs.

78. andrea
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

I´m another fan of Slavic beauty.
    Close to where I live there is a small town whose population are mostly ex-Yugoslav immigrants and most of them are really (I mean really) good looking people!!!

79. Ser Mandon Moore
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Ser Mandon Moore – has he been cast yet? Is he not in some of these scenes?

Especially considering a role he has to play later on in Blackwater

80. andrea
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

Epic knows nothing,

in Castellano (so-called Spanish) we also have double letters that work as one: ll and ch…and we repeat the “r” just to annoy (perro=dog). Oh! I’m forgetting the “ñ”, wich is a wicked one.
    We are cheating just to have more letters than you.

81. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Ser Mandon Moore,

They could easily merge him with Trant.

82. andrea
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

do you know something about the shooting of Jaime and Brienne´s scenes? no leaks there?

83. Epic knows nothing
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Tar Kidho: is it just me or does Lena’s wig looks better than last year’s?

I don’t know about the wig, but that is one beautiful smile you’ll never see while in character.

84. Epic knows nothing
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

clemintine: Methinks you missed an apostrophe. Besides which, ‘ll’, ‘ff’, ‘ch’ etc. are their own letters in Welsh.

oh yeah? Well in Chinese they have a bunch of letters. methinks.

85. The Rabbit
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Only thing I know that they have filmed the melee scene in Renly s camp.

86. andrea
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit,

thank you! (I have to google “melee” right away)

87. Chris
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

Maybe someone here knows the answer to this…

I thought we heard that Neil Marshall had just started shooting within the last couple weeks. We keep seeing all these leaks from the “Peace out Myrcella / Mob” scene, which seems like it would be before the Blackwater episode, and thus not involving Marshall…

Am I getting things mixed up or are they filming with multiple directors, concurrently…? Anyone know?

88. DawnWielder
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

WTF no snaps of eddard? what gives?

89. the goat
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

Tina Babić,

Great pics!

But cue the whining that they aren’t on horseback during the riot scene!!!! in 3…2…

90. KG
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

DawnWielder,

teehee!

91. Ed
    Posted October 3, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

LOL!!!

Langkard:
    I think we should all chip in and buy David Benoiff a new T-shirt and polo shirt.He’s been wearing those same two, identically colored shirts, for several years now… or he has a closet full of the same blue-grey T-shirts and polo shirts.

92. userj
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 12:17 am | Permalink

An extra just posted on westeros.org that they are filiming a scene from Blackwater tomorrow! Apparently something about Stannis soldiers attacking from a boat and meeting with Lannister guards. Wooot.

93. Abyss
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

Off-Topic:
    Nice video interview with Maisie Williams from Entertaiment Media Show.

94. Luana
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 1:56 am | Permalink

Tar Kidho:But other than that, I didn’t really notice much influence of GoT on Merlin or Dr. Who. I simply watch those shows for fun, despite the poor acting* and writing with implausible plots twists. opinion. [...] Maybe they would like to be associated with Thrones, but I’m sure GoT doesn’t really wants to be associated with that kind of show…

Oh, no, you did not, did NOT just mention Doctor Who and Merlin in the same breath and put them in the same class! You can’t be serious. That’s like comparing diamond and dog turd. Sorry, but, just…no.

And how could you possibly imagine that GoT doesn’t want to be associated with the most successful, longest-running SF show on the planet? Seriously. Doctor Who has been the definition of awesome since the 1960s.

Now that I’m apoplectic, I might as well say that yes, I am extremely disappointed by the lack of horses in the scene in question. I can only suspend my disbelief so far due to budget constraints, and the King and his retinue strolling through the city streets on foot is just too much. They should have had these events happen mostly or entirely off-camera if it was too expensive to film.

95. Hear Me Roar
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 2:11 am | Permalink

Petar,

Surely Game of Thrones. Chech our FAQ for this and more.

96. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 2:42 am | Permalink

Luana: Oh, no, you did not, did NOT just mention Doctor Who and Merlin in the same breath and put them in the same class!

Yes I did, as I think they’re targetting a very similar public (families with children) and as such in many ways are closer to each other than they are to GoT. Also, I’m sorry, but I can never see Dr Who as serious science fiction. It’s fun in a daft kind of way, but to say that it has been the definition of awesome since the 1960s? No. Maybe I would think differently had I grown up in the UK where it is common culture… And maybe you would think differently about Merlin had that been running when you were growing up… Anyway, watching both of those series for me personally is a love/hate experience – I enjoy the simple entertainment, but often cringe at the pretty poor writing and acting in both series. But hey, that’s just my opinion, feel free to disagree!

Edit: also, IMO, almost almost all series that run for several years start to degrade in quality after 3 to 4 seasons because more and more they start to just repeat themselves.

97. Lex
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Abyss:
    Off-Topic:
    Nice video interview with Maisie Williams fromEntertaiment Media Show.

Wow… Maisie looks a lot older and seems a lot more confident than last year!

Great to see her growing into such a confident person (I really think she has a promising career ahead of her), but it kind of brings up my concern about the children aging too quickly. I think she’s about 6(?) years older than in the books, but this interview is the first time I’ve really noticed it.

98. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Epic knows nothing: dž is an extra letter? Me thinks your cheating.

99. Krishnan Guru-Murthy
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 5:29 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić: Yup, we also have lj and nj. I think Slovaks are champions (if we don’t count pictograms), they have close to 40 letters.http://www.croatian-genealogy.com/cro-news/20090814-croatian-alphabet-and-specifics-compared-to-english.shtml

Hey, you just have a different definition of what constitutes a letter, which is definitely cheating :P

In Croatian you just define all your phonemes as separate letters, while in English we don’t. English has loads of digraphs we could define as letters if we felt like it (‘wh’, ‘sh’, ‘ch’, ‘qu’, ‘ph, two different pronunciations of ‘th’, etc…..). In fact, if we defined letters in the same way you do, we’d have about 44 to your 30. So away with you and your phonemic orthography!

100. Jenny
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I am just picturing The Hound walking into Starbucks ordering a Venti Hazlenut Cappucino.
    “Bugger the cup. Just pour it into my helmet”

101. OhDanyBoy
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 10:00 am | Permalink

So when are you guys going to start up the speculative scripting for season 2? Last year you spread it out from January 2010 to April 2011. There’s only 26 weeks between now and April, so doing a script every other week starting now would get us nicely into the ramp up to the season.

Looking forward to them!

102. StarkyZG
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

Ivan Popić, The Rabbit and other Croatian people… and everyone else. Here are my pics from the trip.

103. Hear Me Roar
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

OhDanyBoy,

A question for FaB! :) he’s currently busy with panel reports (he has the recordings, I’ll help with what I can, including the extras panel and a part of the interview session).

104. The Rabbit
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 11:27 am | Permalink

StarkyZG,

Thank you!!!

Finally Emilia in Dubrovnik.

105. Hear Me Roar
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 11:31 am | Permalink

StarkyZG,

Great photos and memories :) thanks.

106. Wicker
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 11:47 am | Permalink

Anyone interested in joining a yahoo fantasy hockey league for Ice and Fire fans, I’ve just created one here: http://hockey.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/iceandfire

I can’t be the only Canadian fan of the books out there. League is open to anyone, casual and fun (Head to head – Points)!

107. Lina
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

Filming in Dubrovnik must be a HUGE boost for Croatian nerd tourism. I’ve wanted to visit before, and only want to do so more now!

Also, why does GRRM have such a big Croatian fanbase? Is there something in Croatia’s culture or folklore that makes ASOIAF particularly enjoyable for its people? Or maybe the Croatian fans are just more vocal/active than people from other nations?

I know he has fans worldwide, and it’s not meant to be an offensive question in any way. Just find it interesting since it seems like Croatians are EVERYWHERE when it comes to Ice and Fire!

108. Idaan
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Tina Babić,

Great stuff. Seems a lot more crowded than the lackluster first season – there were proper crowds in like only three scenes (the feast in Winterfell, Drogo’s wedding and that street shot outside of Tobho Mott’s foundry). And is it only me, or could this guy be Balon Swann? http://hot.net.hr/2011/10/03/1177007.56.jpg
    Pretty much how I imagined him: young, handsome, courteous but a bit douch-y.

109. Franny Bee
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

The Lion is very clearly having sex with another Lion in the banner background and laughing its ass off in the Stag’s face. Also, the crown slid off the Stag’s head and is now around it’s neck, choking it to death. The Lion’s tail doubles as a whip, beating the shit out of the ridiculed and slowly strangling Stag.

Doesn’t get any more subtle than that ;)

110. liloo
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink
  111. Iva Radočaj Novak
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Lina,

I have no idea, maybe because Croatia is a small country and now we all feel involved because it’s filming in one of our cities.
    And maybe our bookstores have good fantasy coverage :)

Idaan,
    wait, where did you find that image? wow

112. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

StarkyZG:

Posted October 4, 2011 at 10:03 am | Permalink

You have been successful in your stalking. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

113. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Lina:
    Filming in Dubrovnik must be a HUGE boost for Croatian nerd tourism.I’ve wanted to visit before, and only want to do so more now!

Also, why does GRRM have such a big Croatian fanbase?Is there something in Croatia’s culture or folklore that makes ASOIAF particularly enjoyable for its people?Or maybe the Croatian fans are just more vocal/active than people from other nations?

I know he has fans worldwide, and it’s not meant to be an offensive question in any way.Just find it interesting since it seems like Croatians are EVERYWHERE when it comes to Ice and Fire!

It could have something to do with speed of translations. I remember reading the Blood of Dragons (Daenerys chapters from Game of Thrones) in 1997 and I already knew about GRRM from the translation of his novel Armageddon Rag in early nineties.
    Also, he has visited Croatia before which boosted interest in him and his work. And series has been shown here on local HBO so it boosted interest. As for a lot of pictures from Dubrovnik – people here love being extras in big productions and there are hundreds of local extras being hired. Also, this is generally considered to be off-season in Dubrovnik so the shooting became a point of interest.

114. Blackfish Blues
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Thanks everybody for the awesome pics! It’s great to see cast and crew relaxing together. I think my fave is the Hound slouching in a chair with coffee and a magazine. :D

And who is the tall young Kingsguard with the blond braided hair? He’s a dead ringer for how I see Arthur Dayne. Pity that he’s probably an extra and will never have a scene with his helmet off and that gorgeous hair showing. (EDITED: Balon Swann? Could be!)

Sansa looks very beautiful and womanly. As a closet SanSan, I think this takes away most of the ickiness from the ambiguous relationship between her and the Hound. Actually that’s the way I always imagined her in the books, and I imagined him much younger, so for me the ickiness wasn’t much of a factor. But your mileage may vary.

Those Iain Glen pics are… are…

Tar Kidho:

(pimp-pimpity pimp-pah)

115. Langkard
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 4:43 pm | Permalink

I’ll jump on that pimping bandwagon! Anthony Stewart Head as the Blackfish! Hell, at this point, I’d be happy with anyone at all for the Blackfish! Head would make a good one, though.

I was just wondering about the tall blond-haired gent in the Kingsguard armor, as well. Probably an extra, but it would be great to have someone permanent other than just Ser Meryn Trant. We’ll need an Arys Oakheart eventually, although he should have light brown hair, not blond.

116. Bro
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

StarkyZG,

Aw nice one! Are you in the pics with Emilia? If so how did you manage to nab her for them? Good job anyway.
    As for the young fellow in the Kingsguard armour, I don’t think he is old enough to play Ser Balon Swann (that is if he is going to be credited at all). I always pictured Swann as an older man, who behaves as a knight should and defo not “douchey”.

117. Bro
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Ok, that was weird. Trying to edit my comment but must have ran out of time. I meant to say that I think Swann tries not to rock the boat, and to please his King as best he can but he’s defo not the worst knight in the Kingsguard.

118. StarkyZG
    Posted October 5, 2011 at 2:09 am | Permalink

Bro,

Yes, I’m the tall one in the pic where she’s with two guys. We were incredibly lucky and ran into her near one of the sets on a day when she was not supposed to be there. And then we ran into her again later that day and had another chat :) Dubrovnik is a small place!

119. Zed
    Posted October 6, 2011 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Apparently GoT became a subject of general discourse in Croatian mainstream media.
    Graphical comment under a title “Game of High Seat” shows Croatian Prime Minister Kosor in a struggle with a strongest opposition leader Milinovic. The upcoming elections are commented this way:

- Unlike “Game of Thrones” a much more brutal domestic TV show starts on November 4th -

Goodie. Heads will roll.

120. The Rabbit
    Posted October 6, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Zed,

Goodie. Heads will roll.

Hell yeah!

p.s. I am trying to find out what provoked t..tsgate in Croatian press!

121. Ivan Popić
    Posted October 6, 2011 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

The Rabbit:
    Zed,

Hell yeah!

p.s. I am trying to find out what provoked t..tsgate in Croatian press!

Little birds whisper gate was fabricated. Maybe somebody wanted to present an image of local girls which aren’t willing to show their goods and the rest of the media just copy/pasted the article in question.

122. Zed
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Best possible location for Storm’s End is – Dubrovnik!

123. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

Blackfish Blues: “Merlin” has also two very nice stand-ins for The Fish Who Shall Not Be Named: Anthony Stewart Head and John Lynch.

I think we’ve discussed that before already, many many months ago, with me saying I find Anthony Head quite limited as an actor – he’s always the same character in any role he plays. But I’d be happy if they cast him or anybody else (liking John Lynch!) as said fish, or (liking it less of course) if they just let us know if that certain fish won’t be appearing at all…

124. Tar Kidho
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Zed:
    Best possible location for Storm’s End is – Dubrovnik!

So that only just happened? Wouldn’t it be cool if they happened to have the cameras rolling and have it as the background for some fitting scene – all the viewers would think afterwards that it was CGI.

125. andrea
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Zed,

wow! amazing! I don´t want to be in that ship

126. Zed
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

andrea,

Description by the news guy was that the thing swirled around the cruiser – a couple of minutes – and then moved away from the city.

Ouch.