Packing ‘em in at Vroman’s
By Fire And Blood on in Events.

Herein lies the tale of FaBio’s intrepid adventure at the Vroman’s Bookstore signing on Sunday in Pasadena, California. Names have not been changed to protect the innocent. This was a GRRM signing; “innocents” were not easily found.

The fact that I found easy parking lured me into a false sense of safety. Perhaps this will be an intimate gathering, I thought. I had images of a quiet, library-like atmosphere in my mind’s eye, perhaps with soft violin music gently wafting through the air as a few choice intellectuals and esteemed gentlepersons stood casually about in sweater-vests and khakis and discussed the pros and cons of the reign of Aegon I.

That was not the case. “Are they out of f@%#ing books? Tell me they’re not out of f@%#ing books!” screeched a frazzled-looking girl who was being forced to stand with her buttocks pressed against the glass of one of the entry-level doors. I had to come in through the OUT door.

(No, they were not out of f@%#ing books. She just needed to look in the right f@%#ing place.)

Being that the downstairs level of Vroman’s Bookstore had a very snakey-looking line that wove in and out of various aisles, I immediately assumed the signing was also taking place on that same level. Of course it was not. I followed the line through the aisles and around a corner, and then discovered there were actually two lines: one for people waiting to get to the second floor–where the signing was actually taking place–and one for people who were waiting to get tickets…

…so they could then stand in line on the first floor in order to go to the second floor where they could then get their books signed. Fair enough. I ascended a packed stairwell, made a few dozen enemies with my sharpened elbows, and arrived on the second floor approximately ten minutes later. I got to see THIS.

Blurry? Well, of course. This wavering picture is not due to the unsteady hand of an amateur photographer* but rather the result of waves of heat pouring up from the mass of humanity. It was hot! I was amazed the mood was as good as it was, though there was indeed a sense of brotherhood. And, clearly, being ASoIaF fans they all had impeccable taste and a superior intellect. An added bonus was that it did not smell as I feared it might. (Any of you who have ever been to Gen-Con know exactly what I’m talking about.) Perhaps the general good cheer was due to a general sense of good cleanliness.

George was there, happily signing books and chatting with fans. Despite his recent illness, he looked great. The turn-out had a wide range of ages, as well as a nearly-balanced mix of genders; there were easily just as many women as there were men (plus one rather sublimely-dressed trannie), and all seemed THRILLED to get their books vandalized by The Man.

Perhaps the coolest thing (or the strangest, depending on how you score things at home) was the appearance of Jeffrey and his Tight Tee Harem. Jeffrey, the amiable-looking chap down front, designed each of the ASoIaF-themed tee-shirts you see here. Sadly they are not for sale. No, he made them for his harem, which is also not for sale. And it’s an attractive harem. For a bunch of kids, I mean. Even George wants to be in the picture. (Get out of the damned picture, George! Does everything have to be about you?! Cripes!)

We’re still trying to pressure Jeffrey into making a copy of THIS ONE so we can send it to Emilia. That’s brilliant. Almost as brilliant as Jeffrey claiming not to be dating** anyone in his harem, even though he quietly pulled me aside*** and admitted he was secretly seeing each one without any of the others knowing. You go, Jeff.

There were also a few HBO representatives on hand (I was asked not to name them), just to see the hubub firsthand, and I have to say they seemed moderately surprised by the wide variety of GRRM fans. And I don’t blame them; I too am from a generation where fantasy nerds only came in two sizes (skinny male and fat male), so the fact that this guy who looks like ol’ Captain Abner Marsh (sans his mighty steamboat) had men and women of all ages eating out of his hand…

Well, I think it’s safe to say they are pleased to see he can cross both generational and gender lines even without their marketing teams. George R.R. Martin is his own force of nature.

Lest any of you think this event was of the lurid sort (that tale comes later from the BwB gathering), let me also remind you this was a family-friendly event, and nothing says “family” quite like Baby Dany.

That’s right, little Daenerys was brought forth so that the author might approve of his latest (literary) get, and smiles abounded. A very inspiring moment. If I ever have another kid, I’m naming him Shaggydog. If it’s a girl, it’ll be Weasel.

Lastly we have the A Dance with Dragons news: The news is…

There is no news. Officially. In fact, it’s so “officially” that George openly lamented about how much he had wanted to be able to give us “the news,” but because he had been sick, he’d “lost a week,” and therefore “the news” could not be told just yet. Not quite yet. Even though he had been making “GREAT” progress on ADwD up until a week ago, and then–

I’ll spell this out for the slow: Any week now. Could this be a GRRM-sized week? Perhaps. (That could equate to a month. Maybe two. Who really knows what other projects he’s going to be juggling?) Do I know anything official? No. But I know Hodor-sized hints when I hear them.

I’m going to bet my hat we see A Dance with Dragons on the shelves before the airing of the season 1 finale of Game of Thrones. Sooner than that if they can find a jacket big enough to fit the bindings of that behemoth book. I don’t think they will do the re-issue of AGoT (with the new cover) at the exact same time they release Dance.

But in the end, what do I know? Nothing. Jon Snow and I have that in common, at least.

Lastly… Well, lastly, this post is long. So I’d best be going, and get cracking on my BwB post. But I will leave you with this:

The very charming Ti Mikkel: Hello, dahling. It is so very sexy-time to see you again.

The only slightly less charming Ty Franck:
Uh.

Ti: It was you with me in gay Paris, was it not? The moonlight? The Sauvignon and Cyrah? The tiny little Papillon**** costume?

Ty: I—No, it—hey, don’t take that picture. FaBio! Stop!

Ti: (CENSORED)

Ty: I’m married! I’m happily married! You can’t do this to me! FaaaaaaaBiiiioooo!

Don’t worry, Ty. Only a few of my closest friends will ever see this. And thanks, Ti. You’re the best.

(Ty and Ti. Sure, you all think it’s damned cute, but try getting one’s attention over the other sometime. Especially in a crowded room. It’s like shouting for Mumet in Istanbul. I tried that too.)

Fin.

* This is indeed the work of an amateur photographer. Don’t let FaBio lie to you so blatantly. He can’t take pictures worth a shit.

** And by “dating” we mean tomfoolery.

***He really didn’t, but he’s a cool guy, and I only pick on people I like.

****In truth it was a pekingese costume. She was drunk. In Paris, I mean, not at the signing. You’d have to be drunk to mistake Gilles Marini for Ty Franck.

(Ty is GRRM’s assistant by day / crimefighter & Parisian street mime impressionist by night. His hair is long. Ti is fantastic and could easily play Catwoman in the next Batman flick. Someone call Chris Nolan.)

79 Comments

1. GRRM Fan
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

2. Kevin
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

I had the same impression about ADwD. The way he said he was “hoping” to have a big announcement, then getting sick and messing up his schedule. I expect him to finally announce the book is finished by the end of the month. It really is perfect marketing to have the book published right around the time the series makes it’s tv debut.

3. Strong_Belwas
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Fabio, I hope you never have another kid.

4. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

A Forgot-To-Have-Mentioned Note: There were a total of 600 tickets available for book signings. I’m pretty sure there were more than 600 people by the time all was said and done. I think a few non-ticket-holders snuck in at the end and George signed out of graciousness. The Man was going strong. Someone asked him if his hand ever tired, and he said “No, it’s a problem for some authors, but for whatever reason, not for me.”

5. Rinoa De la Pica
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Strong_Belwas: Fabio, I hope you never have another kid.  Quote  Reply

LOL.

Damn, I want THAT T-shirt. Best ASOIAF shirt ever.

6. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Strong_Belwas: Fabio, I hope you never have another kid.

As the Hulkster is fond of saying, “Amen, brother!”

7. LR
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I’d love to see more closeups of Jeff’s Tshirts. I love the dany one!

8. fevredream
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Fabio, your posts are always so amazing. Thank you again for injecting humor and slick writing into what would already be exiting updates.
    Sounds to me like The Man was in good form this weekend! I’d been a little worried GRRM was still going to be pretty under-the-weather for the TCA event and the signing, but he seems in pretty good health from these descriptions. Of course, who wouldn’t get a boost of energy from all the excitement he must be going through.
    I think a Dragon this way comes…

9. Titus Crow
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

Hell yeah! Those shirts are great. Let’s get them up for order !

10. Johan Sporre
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

It’s always a treat reading your posts :)

And come one HBO, acquire the designs Jeffrey made and offer me some merchandise to buy!

11. Hear Me Roar
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Oh, could you change Mumet to Mehmet? Maybe I’m missing the joke, but my suggestion is a n example of a true name :D I’ve been to Istanbul too, and have a gf from there ;)

12. Kristin
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Girl in the Dany shirt here. Jeffrey is a creative genius, but also full of crap on the dating rumors. We’re glad you enjoyed them, and heck, I would give my shirt to Emilia if she wanted it! I’ll still have my Winterfell one to keep me warm.

13. HB
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Ooh, I’d better get my dancing shoes ready.

Also, many thousands of thanks for the updates WiC people.

14. Targaryen Fanboy
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

eeeeek! Maybe he will announce it on February 3rd which is my birthday. A great write up, thank you!

15. Knurk
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

Kristin,

Awesome, do you have more pictures of the t-shirts/sweaters? They look absolutely amazing (or maybe it’s just the girls in them that make them look good, because the first time I hadn’t noticed Jeffrey was wearing one too in the picture).

16. dizzy_34
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Nice report Fabio.
    I hope he’ll come back to my neck of the woods some day (maybe ADWD tour) so I can get my copies signed. However he’s not to fond of my neck of the woods…

17. Stella Maris
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

GRRM Fan: From a marketing perspective, he’s a fool if he doesn’t get that book out by the time the first season ends. This is the time.

I don’t think you’ll have to worry. Sounds like it’s going to be done soon, and Brandon Sanderson shared a few thoughts with us over on reddit about his best estimate for the timeline for the editor/publisher after GRRM hands in the manuscript. So, according to him (and the guy knows what he’s talking about, obviously), the book will probably be out while the season is airing if Bantam Spectra puts a rush on it. And I have no reason to doubt they will :)

18. vajlégy
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

OT: HBO Hungary announced today, that they plan to air the pilot on April 18th, which is great news for me, because i happen to live here! :) They are part of HBO Central Europe, but I’m not sure whether the other members will do he same and have the same sceduling, maybe someone has more in-depth info about the connections there.

When they aired The Pacific here on 16th March (premiere was 15th in the US) dubbed, and the original version on the 17th, I began to hope they would do the same with Thrones as well. And they will! Can’t stop smiling! :)

19. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar:
    Oh, could you change Mumet to Mehmet? Maybe I’m missing the joke, but my suggestion is a n example of a true name :DI’ve been to Istanbul too, and have a gf from there ;)

It was kind of an inside joke for the other Air Force guys stationed at Incirlik. Not only would we mangle the name completely in writing, but we would just call every Turk who worked on the base “Mehmet.” It’s literally the most common name there by a mile, like “John,” “James,” and “Michael” all rolled into one. In return, they would “help” us order our cartouches (which is Egyptian, technically) with vile translations inscribed. One guy I knew had a cartouche that read “Cat screwer.”

Good times.

20. Liesie
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

Wow I didn’t anticipate this :o I haven’t finished Towers of Midnight (you know Wheel of Time) yet and now Dance is (almost?) coming wow that’s more than my heart can bear. Though I have to say the thought of holding Dance in my hand anytime soon is… well uhh kinda weird I think. Just WOW good news =)

O and as always I loved your writing FaBio! I wish I could have my books signed *sigh* So does anybody know when GRRM will start his worldtour? ;-)

21. Kristin
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

I don’t have any more pictures, but I suspect Jeffrey will. I’ll repost them on my blog if he has any, but I suspect more will show up on the net soon anyway, as Martin’s publicist and the press from HBO and the Westeros blog took pictures of us.

Jeffrey’s design is a lot more subtle. I think he’s still the only one of us with that particular shirt.

22. Katja
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm | Permalink

Lol, love the writeup. Very entertaining! As a follower of Neil Gaiman’s blog this reminds me a lot of one of his signings but seen from the other side. Possibly with less goths and more pure geeks. Also, nobody would ever call their daughter Death or Door or Delirium.

You need to convince Jeff that he could earn good money on those tshirts though!!

23. Victoria
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

Knurk: Kristin,

Winterfell girl in the middle here :)

Except for whatever pictures were taken of the shirts at the signing, there currently aren’t any other images of the shirts.

The response to my boyfriend’s shirt designs is awesome – and it would be even more awesome if he got approval to sell them!

Love your write-up Fabio.

24. Benjamin Symons
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Watching this series and possibly reading A Dance with Dragons (finally!), 2011 isn’t even two weeks old but it seems it will be an awesome year!

25. Hear Me Roar
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Fire And Blood,

Ah, these flyboy stories … love them, wanna hear more. And yes, Mehmet is extremely common! :)

26. Knurk
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Victoria,

I hereby pre-order the Winterfell Athletic dept. shirt! BTW, what logo did he use, from the vague picture it almost looks like a Denver Broncos logo (*shivers*).

27. loco_73
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

I get the feeling that GRRM is further ahead than he would like to admit. I think he is farther ahead than just “A Dance With Dragons”…he has already said that he already has 100 pages less to write for he sixth book…”The Winds Of Winter” (?). Anyways, I hope he stays healthy as that is more important that anything else right now.

As for HBO doing two seasons for one book…not very likely since HBO shows typically don’t last more than five seasons, especially hour-long dramas (I’m not thinkig at “Entourage” or some such). “OZ” and “The Sopranos” were the exceptions, but who knows maybe “Game Of Thrones” will break the mold. Personally I hope it lasts some 7 seasons, one per book, that would be ideal, however if it comes down to having a full-run of the whole saga of “A Song Of Ice and Fire” and the show ending-up being cancelled at some point, I would rather the show lasts only 5 or 6 seasons even though they might have to combine two books in one season! Not the best solution, but we all know that a going over-budget as well as other factors can do a show in, even on mighty HBO!

28. The DarkStar
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I don’t think I can experience happiness or contentment until i get one of those Dany shirts!(At least till the show airs)
    Put me down for at least 3 on the pre-order.

Please sell them Jeffrey!

29. Tywin's Bastard
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

loco_73,

The best bet for the show to last is probably if all the loyal fans of the books, and a good deal of the new fans, buy the seasons on DVD/BD. If the show has strong sales numbers I think that can carry it a long way.

30. Victoria
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Jeffrey used to work as a graphic artist, and personally drew/created the designs. All art is original and his.

31. Victoria
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

The DarkStar,

It’s illegal to sell them unless he gets permission so…go bug Martin’s people and HBO or something if ya’ll really want these shirts!

32. Becky Wilson
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

FaBio cracks me up. Good lord. It’s good to know someone else in the world gets as giddy as I do about this series. I wish I was -there-. Stupid east coast/durned close to The Wall living! I couldn’t stop laughing while reading this.

33. Erik I.F. Kluth
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

Great read FaBio! Can’t wait for you to write up BwB event…

34. LR
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

Kristin, Victoria, Jeffrey,

Checkout cafepress.com. It’s an awesome way to print on demand custom designed Tshirts and earn commission for sales. (as long as they don’t infringe on copyright, of course)
    Cafepress.com. Upper right corner is “create and sell Tshirts” link.
    You can also search for Winter Is Coming for a currently for sale heraldic shirt (I received one for Xmas!)

I’d love to buy your stuff!

35. Victoria
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

LR,

It’s not an issue of where to get them made – It only works if permission is given from Martin or his team. While phrases and names aren’t necessarily copyrighted, it’s still trademark infringement to make a profit selling items related to his works.

And of course, it’s just not cool to make a profit from someone’s original creations without approval.

36. loco_73
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

I also wanted to comment on GRRM’s remarks in his interview with Mo Ryan, in so far as the comparissons with Peter Jackson’s “The Lord Of The Rings” trilogy. He was basically telling fans not to expect “Game Of Thrones” to be on the same scale and size, especially given that the trilogy had a budget which was several times larger than what HBO is spending on the first season of “Game Of Thrones”. A few things with that. As I understand it the budget for the first season of “Game Of Thrones” is between $75-80 million, from what I can remember the entire budget for the LOTR trilogy was some $300 million , roughly $100 million per picture, mind you these are just rough numbers I’m tryingto recall. So if you compare the budgets for the first season of GoA and one of the LOTR installments, the difference is sizeable but not that large. Second of all, I am NOT expecting LOTR all over again. I want “Game Of Thrones” to stand on its own, since this is a different story, more complex, nuanced, while the characters, not to cast any aspersion on Tolkien, are way more developed, intricate and multifaceted than those from LOTR, in fact this is the kind of story and the kind of characters that thrive on HBO dramas, lest one fails to recall “Deadwood” or “The Wire”, “Carnivale” or “ROME”. Now of course I would not mind if “Game Of Thrones” manages to bring about the level of authenticity and vividness of details in its enviroment as LOTR did, for that will certainly add to the credibility of the world we are invited into and the characters we get to see and appreciate, love, care about etc. Thirdly as to the “epic” scope of LOTR versus “Game Of Thrones”, I don’t think that should be a problem. Let’s not forget that the first installment of LOTR came out almost 1o years (this year in December it will be exactly 10 years) ago. CGI and special effects were still quite expensive at that time, and LOTR was in pre-production already in the late 90′s. While in many ways LOTR broke a lot of ground in so far as CGI and other technology at the time of its release, TV has also come a lot farther. The epic feel can be conveyed successfully without having to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on CGI/special FX. “Battlestar Galactica” proved that, and that series had only a fraction of the budget HBO is spending on GoA. Even before that, mini-series like “Shogun” and “I Claudius” managed to convey that feeling of greatness without actually having any of the tools available today, for at the center is always the story and the characters. Every time I watch “I Claudius”, I do believe in the vastness of the Roman Empire and the fact that the story told is truly epic and for that I don’t necessarily need to see epic vistas in order to do that…The things that can be done now on TV can retain the epic feel without necessary having to compete with Hollywood. I would even go further to say that in the past few years we have seen TV programming that not only equals but easily surpasses many movies, even blockbusters, in so far as production values. For that look no further than HBO itself, mini-series such as “Band Of Brothers”, “The Pacific”, “John Adams”, “Generation Kill”, “Elizabeth I” have truly set new standards as to what kind of programming can be put on TV. Furthermore series like “Deadwood” (people forget what a large scale production that was…to show an entire town grow from what was virtually a few tents to a fully-grown settlement was simply awesome), “Carnivale” and of course “ROME” have surpassed many a movie I have seen in the past decade which touted themselves to be “epic”. Just “ROME” puts many of these to shame. Hey, you want more proof, look at “The Tudors” over on Showtime, they had half the buget for each of their seasons when comparred to what HBO is spending on “Game Of Thrones” and that show still managed to look amazing and convey a great sense of scale. Hell, look at what AMC has acomplished with “The Walking Dead”, or Starz with “Pillars Of The Earth, so I got a good and positive feeling as to what HBO will be able to convey with “Game Of Thrones”, I think that they will set new standards with this one, standards that many will then strive to attain, as has been the case in the past. In that sense yes, I do want “Game Of Thrones” to resemble LOTR, I hope that it is as successful and it is as significant and groundbreaking for a television series as LOTR was for movies. I have no problem if “Game Of Thrones” is referred to in the aftermath of its release as a “milestone” in TV programing, just like LOTR was, especially given the genre from which it comes out of, a genre that hasn’t really been aptly portrayed on TV in the past. Perhaps GRRM was trying to tone down the impossibly high expectations of some of his more rabid fans…I for one am thoroughly statisfied with what I have seen, and the series hasn’t even aired yet!

37. aschen heaven
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

DAT SHIRT.

I’ll do crimes for a Jon Snow-themed shirt. Or a Littlefinger one. If they exist. XD

Even if I’m knee-deep in financial obligations and schoolwork, I WILL find the time and the resources to own a copy of ADwD when it comes out. XDD

And FaBio, your prose is awesome.

38. loco_73
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I am sure that will be vital to the show’s longevity. I will try to do my best, I got the books, I got the calendar, just got my “Winter-Is-Coming” HBO t-shirt, I will subscribe to HBO, then get the individual season/s on DVD etc. Beyond that I am not sure what more I can do…Still there are other factors which will determine whether or not this series will have a long/complete run or not…

39. loco_73
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

The last comment was adressed to Tywin…sorry for the multiple posts…

40. Grimtuesday
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I really need to stop reading FaBio’s posts in populated areas. I got many a strange looks on the bus on my way home because I was cracking up the entire time.

I wish I could have gone to this but sadly, I live on the wrong side of the west coast (Washington FTW).

41. Lex
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Incidental HOBBIT news (for anyone interested). Over the last couple days Jackson has signed and secured the return of several old cast members.

Now confirmed to return are Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, Cate Blanchett, Elijah Wood (yes), and now Christopher Lee! This last one is great news, considering Lee’s return was thought to be unlikely. Orlando Bloom is also rumored to be returning.

Here’s my Hobbit Cast Gallery, for any other Tolkien freaks like myself. Sorry for the off topic! :)

42. Lex
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Another FaB-ulous write up! Sounds like a fun event, too bad GRRM didn’t get to stay a bit longer.

43. Dennai
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

loco_73,

A couple of things:

1)The initial total budget wasn’t all that much for a production of that scale, that’s true. But all changed after the fenomenal success of Fellowship. Then New Line injected a lot more of cash for the reshots and post-production of the following films. That extra money allowed some of the major achievements the trilogy is remembered for, particularly CGI wonders, like Gollum and the big battles.
    2)As you said, LOTR was a long time ago. The inflation now would make the budget difference much, much bigger.

look no further than HBO itself, mini-series such as “Band Of Brothers”, “The Pacific”, “John Adams”, “Generation Kill”, “Elizabeth I” have truly set new standards as to what kind of programming can be put on TV. Furthermore series like “Deadwood” (people forget what a large scale production that was…to show an entire town grow from what was virtually a few tents to a fully-grown settlement was simply awesome), “Carnivale” and of course “ROME” (…) “The Tudors” over on Showtime (…)look at what AMC has acomplished with “The Walking Dead”, or Starz with “Pillars Of The Earth(…),managed to look amazing and convey a great sense of scale.

I think the vast majority of us are confident of HBO accomplishing a great sense of scale, and for sure is gonna look amazing (as the trailers prove). The doubt of some fans is if HBO will get the same sense of scale and amazement in scenes whose logistic and technical problems are much more changelling, i.e. direwolves, dragons and, overall, battles. To those fans George is saying, “don’t get too excited or you’ll get dissappointed. We’ll do the best we can, sure it’ll look great, but we can’t give you Gollum and we can’t give you Pelennor.”

44. Kristin
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

LR and company wishing to purchase a shirt,

What Victoria said is true. Jeffrey would need permission to sell the shirts or he could get in serious trouble with Martin’s/HBO’s legal team. They all loved the shirts, but warned us not to sell them; Jeffrey designed them and had them made as gifts for us a few years ago, and didn’t make any profit off of them. However, it is possible Martin or HBO could grant permission to Jeffrey, buy the design off him, or design something similar on their own, so you should address some of these pleas to them. I’m sure they’d be willing to meet demand…

45. Fire And Blood
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

On an OT and slightly amusing note, BSG alum (and a woman high on many peoples’ Melisandre wish-list) Tricia Helfer just tweeted that she just finished A Storm of Swords:

TWEET!

I chastened her for spoilers. But hey.

She’s not a toaster! She has feelings!

46. Tyrion's Scar
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

Those shirts would look awesome wadded up on my bedroom floor.

Sorry I couldn’t help myself.

I apologize to the entire female gender.

47. Shea
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

I’ve got that shirt! Just without the dark piping on the sleeves and the collar.

48. Shea
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 11:19 pm | Permalink

Shea: I’ve got that shirt!Just without the dark piping on the sleeves and the collar.

Er, that was in response to Kristin’s post.

I’m the girl to the right of Victoria, BTW.

49. KG
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

You pay overtime at the printers, you shove other projects aside for the designers …

I don’t think that the designers are going to be a consideration for the next book – The Captain Clipart who did the current set of book covers can relax.

50. Kristin
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm | Permalink

Shea,

Ahh do you? Maybe it’s the fourth design he did that I’m thinking of. I know there’s one that only he has.

51. WXM
    Posted January 11, 2011 at 11:51 pm | Permalink

This post was quite amusing and great fun to read. Thanks FaBio !

Exciting to think that ADwD could be coming out soon. ^___^

52. Brude
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 12:16 am | Permalink

I remember when GRRM came to New York for the Feast for Crows signing. They had him at one of the smaller B&N’s because Frank McCourt was signing that same day at the huge one in Union Square. Like this, the line stretched all the way around the second floor and then down to the first floor and into the aisles. One of the guys who worked there told me it was by far the biggest signing he ever saw. I think the big store was used to having the huge events (that’s where J.K. Rowling and such would sign when they were in town, sometimes), and this was just before AFFC actually hit #1 on the NY Times Best Seller list – it had just come out, I think, so they relegated GRRM to the small one because Frank McCourt was more well known.

53. FlayedandDisplayed
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 3:22 am | Permalink

An off topic thing – I hope HBO will foot the bill for some songwriters to do justice to the songs that appear in the books. I always heard some sort of Willie Nelson ‘Time of the Preacher’ vibe when the Rains of Castamere played. There’s no particular reason that these songs need to conform to medieval song structure. I recall an XTC album where the entire thing was played with instruments available in the middle ages, but the music they produced was a sort of folk pop rock. Not suggesting that’s what we should hear, just that we don’t have to be subjected to the same tired jongleur tropes.

54. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

A brief info for the Croatian WiC commenters:

HBOAdria just confirmed via Twitter:
    Airing : spring 2011 – confirmed!
    The end of April – seems very possible!
    No exact date yet.

55. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 5:56 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

čekaj, nije mi jasno kaj to znači HBO vulgaris ili se mora imati i onaj HBO-on-demand?

56. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 6:04 am | Permalink

Andrija Andrew P,

Ja bih rekla vulgaris :)

57. Elaine
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

Wait, what’s “vulgaris”? I just moved to Croatia and I don’t have cable TV yet.

58. Adam Whitehead
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Lena Headey is playing the lead bad guy in the new JUDGE DREDD movie. Apparently she began shooting last week (the film itself started shooting in November), so this will not intefere in any way with THRONES S2.

59. The_Rabbit01
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Elaine,

Vulgaris = simple (on “urban” Croatian which tends to sound like Latin) :)

60. Elaine
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:04 am | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

zahvaljujem :D

61. Ena Kobentar
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

Do you have any info on the Slovenian air date? I’ve been asking around, no reply yet.

62. Jarmel
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Does anyone know when the next book signing is in NYC? I would love to get my books signed.

63. Hear Me Roar
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Ena Kobentar,

What holds for Croatia, holds for Slovenia as well. Same scheduling, they are airing an identical programming. Check what we know at:

64. KG
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

FlayedandDisplayed,

As long as the instruments are reasonably medieval-esque and the words match what’s in the books, I’m not going to stress over the style of the music.

After all, we won’t be seeing the real medieval era in the show, so I will tolerate no crying over whether or not “The Bear and the Maiden Fair” should be in madrigal or plainsong style.

/Musician

65. The Rabbit
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Ena Kobentar,

Hear Me Roar,

Ena, go to FB site HBO Slovenia in try to find a little chat on the subject by the commenters.
    They said April, too. Very soon after the US premier.

My wild guess is : Eastern Monday or Eastern itself. This the last week-end in April, and ONLY one week after the US premier.

66. GaR
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

FlayedandDisplayed,

I pictured Rains of Castamere being performed by Children of Bodom.

67. KG
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I’d imagined The Bear and the Maiden Fair as performed by Type O Negative, but Peter Steele had to go and die :/ (spoiler, I know)

68. loco73
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 3:56 pm | Permalink

Dennai

Thanks for your reply. I am looking forward to this regardless of any of those concerns…it’s just a great feeling to see all this work and effort come to fruition and soo many people here being passionate about it.
    Dennai,

69. Knurk
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

Are you still in the Netherlands? We must spam the networks here once again to get the show as fast on the air here as possible. Why isn’t there an HBO Eastern Europe channel.

I think it’s really good news to see the show getting aired in all these other countries around the same time in the US (does that ever happen with a show that is not Lost?). But it seems the Dutch/Belgium/Germany corner is skipped, and that bums me out because I know the fanbase is very big in these countries.

70. Hear Me Roar
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

Knurk,

Yep, still here, and unfortunately you’re right in terms of feeling left out. What channels do usually air HBO shows?

Btw, Lowlands moot?

71. Knurk
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Hear Me Roar,

They’re pretty much spread out, VARA had the Sopranos and Six Feet Under. Comedy Central also had SFU, Entourage, Eastbound and Down. Net 5 has Big Love, Sex and the City and the Pacific. True Blood and the Wire are behind the digital decoder on FoxLife and 13th street. The biggest issue is, they are seasons (yes, the plural is correct) behind.

Only recently BNN started to show Boardwalk Empire 3 months or so after HBO did, so maybe this is a good sign. I’ll definately email them again about the show.

Lowlands moot? I’m in, maybe around the pilot airing (the US one)? Tons of other dutchies around here.

72. Katran
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I wish I could have gone to this. I live in the Bay Area and thought about driving down for the weekend, but had guests so I could not go. Plus, all my books are signed already. But I wanted to attend the BWB events, and I love Vroman’s, one of my old haunting grounds from when I lived in Pasadena. Sounds like good times were to be had, though.

73. Zack
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm | Permalink

FlayedandDisplayed,

I’ve pondered what kind of music we’re going to get with this series myself. I know HBO loves ending episodes with silent montages set to music. I don’t know how non-traditional I’d like them to go, but it’s a good bet such things will be done effectively. Unconventional music absolutely won’t be a deal-breaker by itself. They’re already meshing architectural and design styles from various cultures and eras. The music has a good chance of being approached from a similar mindset.

74. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

Puno hvala na ranoj dojavi, sad imam vremena uvjeriti curu da je Igra prijestolja nadasve isplativa investicija :) Inače je hladna kak špricer kaj se tiče takvih stvari,ali mislim da će se smilovati jer joj nebum dao mira do travnja. I to još kaj veliš da na Uskrs dolazi. Ma špicaaaaa! Sunshine and butterflys and crap all around :D Oh and I will not have to take the day off work to see it,cause I have to mentally prepare :)

75. Andrija Andrew P
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

The_Rabbit01,

BTW nadam se da neće izmesariti prijevod,da Kings Landing ne bi postao Kraljevski slet ili tako nešto..

76. Ian Cole
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

It really does amaze me at the grandeur of it all recently. ASoIaF is getting HUGE!!!

77. Eddie Kimbrough
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

I was 3rd in line. Awesome day!

78. Ti Mikkel
    Posted January 25, 2011 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Haha! This is great! Excellent article. xxt

1. [...] night following the Vroman’s signing, a number of ASoIaF fans wandered over to the nearby home of one of the more prominent members of [...]

• WiC Live